9/29 Review and Revise; Edit and Publicize

9/29 Conference Prep Entry: What can you explain to your family? Find examples of the following and organize them with labels to identify what each paper represents from the following checklist. One paper can refer to more than one goal. Ask for a paper clip. Think of how you will explain them on Wednesday. Be prepared to login, find your resources, edit, and logout with your family.

Checklist:

Have you reached our goals?

Content: Did you research to understand and find a solution to your issue? Did you learn and apply the six traits: ideas, word choice, organization, sentence fluency, voice, conventions?

Process: Did you research, take notes, summarize, document sources, find key words, write a lead, draft, review, revise, draft, edit, style, publish?

Persuasion: Bandwagon, Experts, Anecdote, Rhetorical Question, Statistics, lead
Conventions: eliminate spelling, punctuation, capitalization, paragraphing, margin errors?
+++++++++++++++
Answer these questions:
Checklists How to (Content, Process, Persuasion, Conventions)

Click this link if you are approved to complete this online. Be sure you have marked your evidence for conferences (this is my prewriting in a list; this is my freewriting about my ideas).
Writing Reflections on Content, Process, Persuasion, Conventions

What do you do? What have you learned?
Your answers will show what you know.


1. How did you find and remember the content you needed to explain your issues?


Suggestions:

* Google Search Strategies
* Resources Links
* Note-taking
* Citations
* Gist Statements
* Summaries
* Key Words
* Leads



2. How did you move from an idea to a published piece of writing?


Suggestions:

* Brainstorm
* Discussion
* Research
* Drafts
* Questions
* Audience
* Purpose
* Facts
* Connections
* Experiences
* Revision
o Elaborate
o Experience
o Explanation
o Evidence
o Questions
o Key Words
* Edit
o Spelling
o Capitals
o Punctuation
o Paragraphs
* Drafts
o Prewrite
o Summarize
o Gist
o Wiki
o Google Docs


3. How do you write persuasively?


Suggestions:

* Bandwagon
* Experts
* Anecdotes
* Rhetorical Questions
* Statistics
* Leads
* Paragraphing
* Introduction: Grabber, Question, Thesis
* Conclusion: Gist, Fact, Thesis, Question
++++++++++++++
Student-Parent-Teacher Conference


Procedures
__ Did I share procedures for entering the room?
__ Did I share my notebooks and writing?
__ Did I share how I login and logout to my work (wiki, google docs)
__ Did I share how I put my work away?

Writing
__ Did I share my What Else Wiki work?
__ Did I share my writing ideas, notes, and research?
__ Did I share how I wrote my letter to the president?

__ Did I share my key word strategies?
__ Did I share my lead?
__ Did I share my headline?
__ Did I share my persuasive writing strategies?

__ Did I share my reflections?

Compliment from guardian to child:

Goal for child from guardian:

Question for teacher from guardian:


+++++++++++++++++++

What is required for our letter?

We know how to:
Write a headline.
Write key words.
Write a lead statement.

Write a persuasive essay that starts with your lead statement and good questions. Explains in at least two paragraphs what your concerns are, including your solution. Ends with a question or request for the next president to complete your suggestions.

The Fine Print



Read your comments. Finalize your work. Use the checklist below to double check the requirements.

Letters to the President: Writing to the Future Project

Requirements

For Google Docs

__ Did I write only in the white areas?
__ Did I write a catchy headline?
__ Did I choose up to three keywords, separated by commas, for your piece to help readers find your piece by topic.
__ Did I write a strong verb lead-- no more than 75 words to summarize your main point and catch your readers' interest?
__ Did I write my pseudonym? (Code Name)
__ Did I complete my letter to the president in the correct area-- begin with the first sentence of the body of the letter & continue to the end?
__ Did I double space BETWEEN paragraphs?

For Wiki

__ Did I write my headline as title?
__ Did I start essay with my strong verb lead?
__ Did I include questions at the beginning?
__ Did I complete my letter to the president?
__ Did I comment positively on someone else’s letter?


Content of Letter

__ Does my letter start with a lead statement?
__ Does my letter beginning also include questions?
__ Does my letter explain my concerns?
__ Does my letter explain my concerns with __ examples, __ statistics, __ experts, or __ anecdote?
__ Does my letter explain my solution for the president?
__ Does my letter end with a question to ask the president to implement (do) my solution?

__ Are the ideas written in my own words?
__ Did I include sources for my statistics or quotes?
__ Did I include the name of article in my letter? or
__ Did I include a footnote at the end of the letter?

Style of Letter

__ Did I use strong verbs?
__ Did I use different lengths of sentences?
__ Did I start my sentences in different ways?
__ Did I elaborate with details, examples, evidence, experiences, explanations?
__ Did I use persuasive strategies (bandwagon, experts, anecdotes, rhetorical questions, statistics)?
__ Did I have an introduction? (lead statement; questions)
__ Did I have a conclusion? (ask the president to implement my solution)

Edit of letter

__ Did I read my letter over WORD BY WORD to make sure I did not miss any words or use the wrong words?
__ Did I read my letter over again WORD BY WORD to check the spelling of every word?
__ Did I read my letter over again to make sure I found the ends of sentences and did not write run-on sentences?
__ Did I use the correct punctuation?
__ Did I use correct capitalization?
__ Did I write in paragraphs?



Peer review. Enjoy your learning.
+++++++++++++

No comments: